Vacancy: Executive Director
The International Center for Ethnic Studies (ICES), Sri Lanka, is looking for an Executive Director to lead its operations with effect from September/October, 2012.
Established in 1982, with offices in Colombo and Kandy, ICES is a leading social science research center in Asia focusing on ethnicity, identity politics, conflict resolution, peace-building, and post-war reconstruction, democracy and governance, development and gender. ICES engages in academic research, advocacy, and social interventions on key policy matters and it endeavors to foster values of democracy, pluralism and tolerance. For three decades, the ICES has striven to evolve a tradition of historically sensitive theoretical and empirical research, publications and debate on key socio-political issues in the global South. The ICES also provides a vibrant and dynamic intellectual environment for academic and policy dialogues, discussions, seminars, and socially-engaged literature, art and cinema.
The duties of the Executive Director include:
1. Planning, supervision, and leading the implementation of research, advocacy, publications, and social interventions undertaken by the institution with support from the research staff and guidance from the Board of Directors;
2. Supervision of the administration/finances of the ICES;
3. Active engagement in drafting research and funding proposals, and fundraising;
4. Networking with relevant stakeholders, nationally and internationally;
5. Representing the ICES at important public events relevant to the institution’s mandate and the work programme;
Applicants must possess the following:
1. A proven track record of commitment to the values of pluralism, multiculturalism and human rights;
2. A PhD in Social Sciences or Humanities from a recognized university;
3. Demonstrated experience in conducting research, proposal writing and supervision of research projects;
4. Networking abilities – the ability to reach out to various constituencies in the related fields in South Asia and beyond;
5. Experience in raising funds regionally and internationally;
6. Previous experience in teaching at university level or in managing research, as well as a background in administration and management;
An attractive remuneration package, negotiable depending on qualifications and experience, with fringe benefits will be available to the successful candidate. The contract will initially be for a period of two years, and is renewable. There will be a six-month probationary period.
Candidates applying for the post should submit their cover letter and detailed curriculum vitae with names and contact details of two non-related referees on or before August 15th, 2012. Only shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
Candidates between the age limits of 35-60 will be given priority but candidates above sixty are not excluded.
Cover letter: The cover letter should explain why the candidate’s motivation for applying for this post and should describe how her/his experience will be relevant to the job and how she/he would add value to the work of the ICES. The candidate should also elaborate on her/his previous track record, ability and experience in raising funds regionally and internationally. The cover letter should be 500 words in length.
Applications can be sent by post, fax or email to:
International Center for Ethnic Studies [ICES],
2, Kynsey Terrace, Colombo 8, Sri Lanka.
Fax: + 94 11 2688929